Fictional References

I think the only reason why I've read some fiction is because it was referenced in another work of fiction.  For example, as mentioned here:

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2026/08/braves-yankees-1957-world-serious-game-1.html

the only reason why I read the book: You Know Me Al is that the author, Ring Lardner, was mentioned by Holden Caulfield in Catcher In The Rye.

Another was the book: Three Men In A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome.  I saw that referenced in the Heinlein juvenile SF novel: Have Space Suit - Will Travel.  Of course that title was derived from the TV / Radio show: Have Gun - Will Travel  :)  mentioned previously:

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2023/08/hvac-comfortable-rate-of-cooling.html

Those are the only two that come to mind - although a lot of the juvenile series books like The Hardy Boys will reference other books in the series, but that's not quite the same thing.

I started reading a book called Hyperion (soon to be a motion picture ?  :) by Dan Simmons, quite a book, each chapter is a novella by itself.  One book mentioned in Hyperion is Beowolf.  But reading Beowolf sounds like quite a challenge.  Author Simmons also mentions the book: The Dying Earth by Jack Vance in passing:



https://archive.org/details/bwb_Y0-BWO-254

If I make it all the way through Hyperion I'll consider The Dying Earth but I don't think Beowolf is going to be read by me !

BTW, the biblical references to Abraham in Chapter 4 of Hyperion reminded me of an episode of The Twilight Zone called: In Praise Of Pip:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Praise_of_Pip

Jack Klugman was known mostly as a comedic actor but he was also a powerful dramatic actor.  This episode was the story of a father offering himself to God in place of his son - sort of like Abraham turning the knife on himself rather than on his son.  Oscar Madison gets heavy, man, heavy !

The episode is the last 25 minutes of so at the end of this tape:

https://archive.org/details/the-twilgiht-zone-betamax-0309

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm



Comments