Beer Vending Machine (and X-rated movie)
I did some more sleuthing on the UWM Union mentioned yesterday:
https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2025/02/gyros.html
Luckily the UWM student newspaper, The UWM Post, has a free archive of all the issues online.
https://uwm.edu/lib-collections/uwm-post/
I'm sure a 21st century AI whisperer could have rounded up this info
much quicker but I was able to root through the online archive and find the following news
articles:
An article on beer vending machine (page 8) from October 2, 1975:
source: https://cdm17272.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/uwmpost/id/9826/rec/392
Semi-obligatory inflated price:
![]() |
| Figure a case of 24 @ a 1975 price of 21.5 cents per can would inflate to: $29.66 - beer was expensive in 1975 |
However it didn't last long, article on beer vending machine no longer in operation from October 5, 1975, page 3:
source: https://cdm17272.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/uwmpost/id/9553/rec/393
They also tried showing X-rated movies, from front page, October 2, 1975:
source: https://cdm17272.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/uwmpost/id/9827/rec/392
And again they didn't last long, article on x-rated gone from October 9, 1975, front page/back page:
source: https://cdm17272.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/uwmpost/id/9279/rec/394
and: https://cdm17272.contentdm.oclc.org/digital/collection/uwmpost/id/9278/rec/394
Chancellor Baum seems to have been a practitioner of the "HP Way" (management by walking around). They were both just brief experiments at the Student Union that I read about in the student newspaper :)
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm






Comments