Super Ball

It's Labor Day, NFL football starts on Wednesday 2026-09-09.  So I thought this video was interesting:



source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hrtkYKlbn8 

The Super Bowl name started as a placeholder ?  Who knew ?  Inspired by a Wham-o product called the Super Ball.

I *think* I had a Super Ball but lost it quickly.  I seem to remember that they developed cracks after a while anyway.  One thing I remember is if they were spun the Super Ball would bounce back and forth.  Fun for a brief while.  I think they were more suited to the city than suburbs - you need nice level pavement away from houses.

I wonder if Wham-o ever tried making golf balls with a Super Ball inside ?   Of course:

Yuck, not only printed in USA but also stained there :)


source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/157434233831


$89.99 plus $10.95 postage, just a little out of my price range !  Also, not a "legal" ball.

That brings up the old:  "there's acid in the middle of a golf ball" refrain.  The only thing I ever found inside was a long string of rubber windings - I never got further than that.  I found a package of Titlist golf balls that my Mom had:



I'll never know why she had them - possibly received as a gag gift ?

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm



Comments