NOVA

yesterday Blogger wasn't allowing pictures to be uploaded but today OK, 

weird but true


I've mentioned the sleep inducing power of the PBS show: NOVA several times, here is one:

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2026/01/it-happened-again.html

But I just found out that this wiki list of NOVA episodes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nova_episodes

has hyperlinks to some of the episodes on Archive.org, neat !  Unfortunately they aren't all there, for example Skydive To The Rainforest mentioned here:

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2026/04/nova-skydive-to-rainforest.html

Luckily Skydive To The Rainforest is on Youtube :)

Recently I was looking for a NOVA episode on how training for sports affects the human body.  In the episode an MLB pitcher is x-rayed to show how throwing a baseball has affected his arm - I *think* it was Don Sutton who played for the Milwaukee Brewers for a few seasons including the World Series against the Cardinals.  Search engines are useless for this kind of query, even AI is NG.

Anyway this has the makings of a nice resource although archive isn't all that good at serving up video at times, at least to my setup.  But it is possible to download the episodes and watch them offline, which removes the herky-jerky nature of a slow stream.

BTW IMDB has a listing of NOVA episodes with more than just the titles, it includes descriptions, which makes it handy for finding a remembered episode because sometimes the titles are a little cryptic.  It's also arranged nicely to have a separate page for each season of NOVA.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206501/episodes/

One thing, the IMDB season numbers don't line up with the Wiki episode list, this is apparently calendar versus season number ?  Weird.

Here is a NOVA episode, possibly appropriate for September 11:

https://archive.org/details/NOVASkyscraper

It's an examination of the building of a new Manhattan skyscraper although NOT the twin towers of the World Trade Center.  Building stuff is always interesting as long as someone else has to do the work :)
 
I didn't find the NOVA with Don Sutton yet but I'll keep searching.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm 



Comments