Where The Olsons Lived in 1938
With the recent tornado, mentioned here:
https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2026/07/tornado_0277261982.html
I was wondering where the Olsons lived in 1938 when they went to see the Tom Mix Circus. Just through dumb luck, I finally found where the Olsons lived in 1938 here:
![]() |
| 5th entry: Charles A. OLSON |
source: https://content.mpl.org/digital/collection/AMP/id/445
By the 1940 census they had moved to Milwaukee and when my Dad was born in 1930 they lived in Portage.
Thanks to Google I was able to let my fingers do the walking and found 527 W. Prospect on the map:
And using Street View I got a glimpse of the house:
![]() |
| hopefully the recent tornado didn't mess things up |
I remember my Dad saying that they lived on the Fox River - his dog (a collie named Laddie) had the run of the back yard to the railroad tracks. Grampa had rigged up some kind of overhead wire which allowed Laddie to run free. Apparently Laddie would periodically escape the wire. When they moved to Milwaukee Laddie didn't come along, I guess their new house was on a much smaller lot.
I've got a picture of my Dad and Laddie on the porch of that Appleton house (it shows the door with the sidelights) but can't find it right now, hopefully I can post it later.
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm



Comments