My Weekly Reader
As I kid who started school in the 1960s I immediately recognized this publication I came across recently:
The scan is from this wonderful blog:
https://dreamsofspace.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-weekly-reader-1960-1966.html
I will be spending more time reading that blog. I started first grade in 1961 so I *might* have seen this one while attending Indian Hill:
And this 1/2 page about John Glenn was from 1962 when I we had all moved to the big school: Maple Dale:
I really don't remember much specifically about My Weekly Reader except for one incident that I remember clearly. This must have been in 1961 or 1962. President Kennedy had started a new project called The Peace Corps in 1961. One thing the teachers did was have students read aloud from My Weekly Reader. I remember one girl was called on to read and when she got to Peace Corps she instead said peach crops - well as kids will do we all laughed. Now that I think of the incident it must have been traumatic for this girl.
Learning to read was the best thing about grade school - I loved to read then. One thing about My Weekly Reader (I *think* they must have been bought or morphed into Scholastic sometime along the line?) was that in addition to the newspaper, My Weekly Reader also had a book club to sell books which you'd pay for at school and would keep for your own:
I don't know where mine all went but this was one of them:
https://archive.org/details/longlonesometrai00orms
As I recall it was a good book, I'll have to borrow it :)
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
The scan is from this wonderful blog:
https://dreamsofspace.blogspot.com/2011/03/my-weekly-reader-1960-1966.html
I will be spending more time reading that blog. I started first grade in 1961 so I *might* have seen this one while attending Indian Hill:
And this 1/2 page about John Glenn was from 1962 when I we had all moved to the big school: Maple Dale:
I really don't remember much specifically about My Weekly Reader except for one incident that I remember clearly. This must have been in 1961 or 1962. President Kennedy had started a new project called The Peace Corps in 1961. One thing the teachers did was have students read aloud from My Weekly Reader. I remember one girl was called on to read and when she got to Peace Corps she instead said peach crops - well as kids will do we all laughed. Now that I think of the incident it must have been traumatic for this girl.
Learning to read was the best thing about grade school - I loved to read then. One thing about My Weekly Reader (I *think* they must have been bought or morphed into Scholastic sometime along the line?) was that in addition to the newspaper, My Weekly Reader also had a book club to sell books which you'd pay for at school and would keep for your own:
I don't know where mine all went but this was one of them:
https://archive.org/details/longlonesometrai00orms
As I recall it was a good book, I'll have to borrow it :)
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm





Comments