Deaths

I heard about two deaths today, first Dolly Parton, I knew something was up when I saw this thumbnail from Dave Letterman:

Dave Letterman's thumbnails on Youtube, signposts of death !



As a boy growing up in the 1960s, none of us tuned into The Porter Wagoner Show to listen to guys with high hair and spangly suits:




We tuned in to see Dolly:



I imagine the ratings went UP when Dolly joined the show.  We are all mammalians after all :)  And I was 12 years old in 1967.  But she didn't just sing songs and be on TV and in the movies - she created her own music - those songs will live on.

Second, a trivial death but a death of something I used every day:



The various Nitter instances allowed users to look at twitter without having to sign in or endure the ads or engage in the endless scroll.  It was nice to just check the tweets of accounts you liked and you are done after seeing their new stuff.

I don't get why someone would buy twitter, then ditch the name (which was a LOT of the value, certainly the software or servers weren't so valuable, it was the accounts on twitter).  Then they ditched lots of the employees (that's standard business).  Then the now x started requiring you to sign in.  Finally now x is killing off Nitter (and probably all other alternate methods of access).

Maybe the death of Nitter is a good thing, it frees up time that can now be spent on other stuff ?  I know about the other various social networks but maybe this is the chance for a clean break.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm



Comments