We Need The Eggs

The first joke from Annie Hall was mentioned before:

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2025/01/another-one-of-my-elmers-has-died.html

But, as the literalist, seeing an old Australian magazine ad made me remember the final joke from Annie Hall :




source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3feAYfyjzk


Here is the ad originally from Pinterest:



From other sources I gather that Ke-Peg was (don't think it is available in the USA) a paint on or wipe on substance for fresh eggs to prevent moisture from escaping out and bad stuff like oxygen and germs from getting in.  From the months of peak egg laying mentioned you realize this is a southern hemisphere ad.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/has-anyone-ever-used-kepeg-egg-preserver.226412/

The peg in Ke-peg may refer to polyethylene glycol 400 or PEG-400 (described as a clear, colorless viscous fluid):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEG_400

Apparently PEG 400 is the active ingrediment in Visine ?:



Mineral oil is an alternative coating to preserve eggs ?:

https://www.preparednesspro.com/safely-preserving-eggs/    

Per this USDA Egg Safety Facts document:



source: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GOVPUB-A110-PURL-LPS49592/pdf/GOVPUB-A110-PURL-LPS49592.pdf


So grocery store eggs are coated with mineral oil already ?

Also mentioned on the internet for egg preservation is "water-glass":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_silicate

I remember "reading the mail" on a 40 meter SSB old time radio net, the fellow veered off topic and was talking about preserving his chicken's eggs in a bucket for the winter, I think he was talking about a bucket filled with water-glass.

The new fangled way of preserving eggs is like this:



Inside the heavy metal foil bag is the dry equivalent of a dozen eggs (at a little under $1 each) in the form of a lumpy, orange powder.  I usually keep an un-opened bag around for when I can't get to the store for an extended period (like a snowy winter or a smoky summer).  The weird thing when I opened my first bag the smell immediately reminded me of the dry food we fed the dog - they must use a LOT of freeze dried eggs in dog food :)

I will just keep buying fresh eggs from Mann's Store and use freeze dried eggs only in a pinch.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm


Comments