RF Feedback Strikes ?
I made a quick try at sending some CQs on 30 and 10 meters to generate reports on the Reverse Beacon Network. However when I plugged in my 8 pin keyer in the phenolic case and hit the memory button the K2 went key down. I also tried sending with a straight key and got similar results. Strangely I was able to use the internal K2 keyer with an external paddle and got one lone report on 30:
One thing that can be done for RF feedback problems is to use a keyer in a metal case. I would have sworn that I had one at hand but no luck. Then just as I was about to build yet another keyer but this time in a metal case I made one last search and found this:
It's an Island Keyer II:
http://wb9kzy.com/ik2.htm
It was built into a Swiss Colony candy tin:
One unusual feature is this:
It's a temperature sensor sticking out of the side - there is a small amplifier that scales the LM34 sensor output to the Island Keyer II analog input, this is mentioned in passing on page 5 of the Island Keyer II manual:
http://wb9kzy.com/ikeyr2pa.pdf
Not sure if the bugs were worked out. The keyer powers up normally but when memory 1 is pressed the keyer enters an endless loop (beacon) where the a/d converter is continually read out.
Next step will be to create (or find) some shielded cables for keying the K2 from the keyer and from the paddle to the keyer.
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm

Comments