Teflon Wire
I have a fair bit of Teflon wire, the better part of 1000 feet on one roll. I also have some cables with Teflon insulated wire from the Hughes Aircraft PDEC. Everyone likes the non-stain nature of Teflon and of course the silver plated wires. The Teflon insulation won't melt or shrink when soldering either.
But the fly in the ointment is stripping that Teflon cleanly without nicking or cutting strands. Also the slippery nature of Teflon makes it hard to grip without oversqueezing (using pliers) and damaging the insulation. I understand that heat is often used in a industrial situation - softening the Teflon makes it easier to strip ?
I usually use diagonal cutters and end up losing a few strands. So I did a search on stripping Teflon wire and found this:
source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkxNT7Q7dm0
Here is the tool on Digikey:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/knipex-tools-lp/12-12-06/10451358
$206.72 !! I guess I will continue with the diagonal cutters for now and be more careful !
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
Comments