Heathkit IG-102: signal generator OR cleverly disguised AM transmitter ?
While continuing to mess with the varactor crystal set a thought occurred: one way to see if the distortion problem is real would be to use an AM transmitter with a sine wave input. Regular AM voice/music is just too jangly to see distortion in the time domain. So I thought about building an AM transmitter. I do have some FM band transmitters but nothing for AM. Then I remembered the IG-102 sitting there, bagged up - it can (sorta) function as an AM transmitter with either internal modulation or external audio from a function generator (or for that matter, a microphone or audio player).
And the IG-102 does work - the internal modulation is NOT a clean sine wave but it does work OK for this test. Here is that IG-102 modulation audio:
Here is the modulated carrier in the time domain:
And the IG-102 does work - the internal modulation is NOT a clean sine wave but it does work OK for this test. Here is that IG-102 modulation audio:
![]() |
| not super low distortion but usable |
Here is the modulated carrier in the time domain:
![]() |
| looking at this again: overdriven ? |
Here is the demodulated signal from the varactor crystal set:
Probably need to re-do this with lower drive and maybe an external audio oscillator.
Probably need to re-do this with lower drive and maybe an external audio oscillator.
Also, I did hook up a longer antenna to the varactor crystal set: a several hundred foot long "snake in the grass" - there were more stations and less distortion but selectivity is a problem. I will try to get an antenna up in the air - maybe have it double as a scare wire on the "barn".
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm



Comments