Drop Shippers . . .
. . . are the bane of my existence !
They are all over ebay - taking your money but then having someone else (like Amazon or Costco) do the actual shipping. Which is fine BUT for me drop shipping is no good because no one but the shipping overlord knows which carrier will deliver the parcel. And I need things sent by USPS as they are the only ones who deliver here on the island.
So how do you tell a drop shipper ? They may indeed specify USPS as the carrier in their ebay listing so how else can you tell ?
1) are AK and HI excluded ? that might mean no USPS !
They are all over ebay - taking your money but then having someone else (like Amazon or Costco) do the actual shipping. Which is fine BUT for me drop shipping is no good because no one but the shipping overlord knows which carrier will deliver the parcel. And I need things sent by USPS as they are the only ones who deliver here on the island.
So how do you tell a drop shipper ? They may indeed specify USPS as the carrier in their ebay listing so how else can you tell ?
1) are AK and HI excluded ? that might mean no USPS !
2) are PO boxes excluded ? again the USPS should deliver to Post Office boxes.
3) is the picture of the item a stock photo against a white background or an actual item with a real background ? drop shippers usually use a stock photo
4) is the item picture small in size, an ultra compressed JPG or a larger more detailed picture ? drop shippers usually use an ultra compressed, smudgy, no fine detail photo
5) is there a "template" used for the listing, that's often the sign of a drop shipper:
![]() |
| looks like a template to me, probably drop shipper |
6) what I usually do is to shoot them a message, challenging them on drop shipping and USPS as the carrier - this also gives a clue as to whether this is a real seller or some corporate, order aggregating monster
Here is a recent message from a vendor who had USPS as their carrier:
Recently I was careless on an ebay item. It said: Standard Shipping (USPS Ground Advantage) as the carrier but I missed the use of a stock photo AND I didn't email first. So the item was sent FEDEX, 5 days after I ordered it (tardy shipping is not a good sign).
I sent a nastygram as soon as I got the shipping email from ebay but of course it was too late. The seller listed their location as Houston TX but the item was sent from Olathe KS (Amazon ?). The seller did ask for more info and I explained:
It appears that you are a drop shipper, I didn't know that.
1) your listing says the item is sent standard shipping USPS Ground Advantage, item located in Houston TX
2) you sent the tape by Fedex from Olathe KS
3) FEDEX doesn't deliver to homes at zip 54246 it leaves them at a depot
4) I have to travel 7 miles to the depot (which must be done on foot or a bicycle) and back home
5) when the item arrives I will ask the depot to return it to you because I'm not making that unplanned trip
6) I would NOT have ordered from you if your listing said FEDEX or if I had known you were a drop shipper
7) when the item return is complete I expect a full refund
The terms of a sales contract can't legally be changed by only 1 party, both must agree
The seller was very nice, immediate refund, said to keep the item if it was delivered. I would rather have gotten the item mailed though, a freebie isn't that big a deal.
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
Here is a recent message from a vendor who had USPS as their carrier:
![]() |
| in other words, they are totally a drop shipper ! But at least I know |
Recently I was careless on an ebay item. It said: Standard Shipping (USPS Ground Advantage) as the carrier but I missed the use of a stock photo AND I didn't email first. So the item was sent FEDEX, 5 days after I ordered it (tardy shipping is not a good sign).
I sent a nastygram as soon as I got the shipping email from ebay but of course it was too late. The seller listed their location as Houston TX but the item was sent from Olathe KS (Amazon ?). The seller did ask for more info and I explained:
It appears that you are a drop shipper, I didn't know that.
1) your listing says the item is sent standard shipping USPS Ground Advantage, item located in Houston TX
2) you sent the tape by Fedex from Olathe KS
3) FEDEX doesn't deliver to homes at zip 54246 it leaves them at a depot
4) I have to travel 7 miles to the depot (which must be done on foot or a bicycle) and back home
5) when the item arrives I will ask the depot to return it to you because I'm not making that unplanned trip
6) I would NOT have ordered from you if your listing said FEDEX or if I had known you were a drop shipper
7) when the item return is complete I expect a full refund
The terms of a sales contract can't legally be changed by only 1 party, both must agree
The seller was very nice, immediate refund, said to keep the item if it was delivered. I would rather have gotten the item mailed though, a freebie isn't that big a deal.
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
Update: June 7, 2024: I did go to the ferry dock today (on my bike) and picked up the item - it was from Wal-mart so definitely drop shipped. Although it was a nice day it was just windy enough to make it a challenging ride - but I've learned my lesson, always challenge new (to me) sellers on ebay on their shipping BEFORE buying.


Comments