QST October 1958
A review of 1958 QST continuing with the October issue:
smaller pdf: https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-DX/QST/50s/QST-1958-10.pdf
online viewable or larger pdf: https://archive.org/details/sim_qst_1958-10_42_10
items from the issue that I found interesting:
Remote Control of a Grid-Dip Meter p 15
A ham takes advantage of a consumer after-market add-on remote of a TV to tune a grid dip meter, very intuitive. This reminded me of Jack Lemmon in The Apartment (previously mentioned here:
https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2022/06/productivity.html
CC Baxter is eating his TV Dinner in front of the TV and has a remote control on the end table (so he doesn't get chicken fat on the Zenith ?)
Simple Low-Pass Filter Design p 21 at first I thought this was for a transmitter but it was intended for audio filters - this was the heyday of the 44/88 mH telephone loading coils. I suspect it could be scaled from baseband to RF fairly easily.
A Voice Key for the Handicapped p 36
An inspiring story.
Transistor Mobile Converter p 41
There would be many such converter articles in QST over the years, in fact a 15-10 converter (but with tubes) was also in this issue. Also, the author's (M.F. De Maw) first of over 600 QST articles !
Gil cartoon p 63
I'm not sure what this was in reference to, seems topical, maybe a satellite or ??
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
smaller pdf: https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-DX/QST/50s/QST-1958-10.pdf
online viewable or larger pdf: https://archive.org/details/sim_qst_1958-10_42_10
items from the issue that I found interesting:
Remote Control of a Grid-Dip Meter p 15
A ham takes advantage of a consumer after-market add-on remote of a TV to tune a grid dip meter, very intuitive. This reminded me of Jack Lemmon in The Apartment (previously mentioned here:
https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2022/06/productivity.html
CC Baxter is eating his TV Dinner in front of the TV and has a remote control on the end table (so he doesn't get chicken fat on the Zenith ?)
![]() |
| a shoot-em-up |
![]() |
| something better on ? |
![]() |
| nope, the remote also turns off the TV |
Simple Low-Pass Filter Design p 21 at first I thought this was for a transmitter but it was intended for audio filters - this was the heyday of the 44/88 mH telephone loading coils. I suspect it could be scaled from baseband to RF fairly easily.
A Voice Key for the Handicapped p 36
An inspiring story.
Transistor Mobile Converter p 41
There would be many such converter articles in QST over the years, in fact a 15-10 converter (but with tubes) was also in this issue. Also, the author's (M.F. De Maw) first of over 600 QST articles !
Gil cartoon p 63
I'm not sure what this was in reference to, seems topical, maybe a satellite or ??
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm









Comments