firing my old bank
I used to live/work in Illinois. At first I cashed my paycheck at what is called a currency exchange, yikes ! (they charged quite a fee). In the late 1970s/early 1980s banking was weird in Illinois. No branch banking, so you either had to go down into the city to a big bank or use a local bank. I first opened an account with the Northlake Bank. It was OK but they paid below market rates on savings and as far as I could tell their big claim to fame was that they were once held up by a gang using automatic weapons. Next I moved to a bank in the next burb, Franklin Park. I ditched them after one of their bankers told me that they couldn't explain their interest payment to me (which seemed low). Then I opened an account with First Federal Savings which wasn't a bank, it was a savings and loan. They were OK, had branches all over Chicagoland - I stayed with them ever since - they were eventually acquired by Citibank. I also had an account with the GTE credit union but gave that up after being laid-off.
Now after 40 years or so I am ditching Citibank. The final straw: I signed into their website and was greeted by a new interstitial screen (usually these are ads for some banking or investment product) which DEMANDED that I accept a change from paper statements to digital statements. Something about that rubbed me the wrong way. Over time I've closed an IRA with them (low interest) and then a savings account (again low interest) but kept the checking account out of some old person inertia or something. The Citi banking app was severely lame, I finally ditched it completely, was always having trouble depositing checks to it.
No more.
I'm now in the process of opening a new checking account (aka debit card). Hopefully after I finally can cut over the various automagic direct deposits and bill pays AND get new checks (I still use them) I'll be free of Citi.
The next number will be ditching my old GTE/AGCS/Lucent/Nokia 401k and moving that elsewhere. For some reason when the 401k moved to Nokia after the last corporate takeover, Nokia ditched Fidelity and went with another financial manager who just isn't in the same league with Fidelity. I should have moved years ago but another case of old guy inertia.
Anyway, hopefully change is good.
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
Now after 40 years or so I am ditching Citibank. The final straw: I signed into their website and was greeted by a new interstitial screen (usually these are ads for some banking or investment product) which DEMANDED that I accept a change from paper statements to digital statements. Something about that rubbed me the wrong way. Over time I've closed an IRA with them (low interest) and then a savings account (again low interest) but kept the checking account out of some old person inertia or something. The Citi banking app was severely lame, I finally ditched it completely, was always having trouble depositing checks to it.
No more.
I'm now in the process of opening a new checking account (aka debit card). Hopefully after I finally can cut over the various automagic direct deposits and bill pays AND get new checks (I still use them) I'll be free of Citi.
The next number will be ditching my old GTE/AGCS/Lucent/Nokia 401k and moving that elsewhere. For some reason when the 401k moved to Nokia after the last corporate takeover, Nokia ditched Fidelity and went with another financial manager who just isn't in the same league with Fidelity. I should have moved years ago but another case of old guy inertia.
Anyway, hopefully change is good.
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm

Comments