Carnegie Hall

After looking at yesterdays blog post I realized that Carnegie Hall is also in that same neighborhood south of Central Park with the needle residence towers and Fred Allen's apartment - see the little marker with the music notes in the next block down from Fred Allen's apartment.
"How do I get to Carnegie Hall ?"   "Practice, Practice"

I remember seeing a documentary about Bill Cunningham, a famous fashion photographer in New York.  One memorable thing from that movie was that Bill Cunningham actually lived in Carnegie Hall.  In addition to the actual hall there were also offices and apartments.  Bill Cunningham moved into Carnegie Hall in the mid 1950s, about the same time that Fred Allen died so not sure if they ever crossed paths or not.  Here is Bill Cunningham exiting Carnegie Hall on his bicycle:



Here is a link to the documentary:

https://archive.org/details/bcNewYork

One of the things I recognized right away in that documentary was the Tamron Fotovix:

The Fotovix was pretty neat, a light table with a video camera mounted above it equipped with a macro lens.  Perfect for proofing negatives.

I just learned that there was also another documentary made about Bill Cunningham by the same filmmaker:

https://archive.org/details/ttBillC

I was surprised to learn of all of the famous people who lived in Carnegie Hall such as Marlon Brando and Wally Cox (who were roommates ?):
the odd couple

Some of the other residents of Carnegie Hall included: composer Leonard Bernstein, author Paddy Chayefsky and author Norman Mailer.  Apparently there is another documentary about Carnegie Hall called: LOST BOHEMIA which sounds familiar but not sure if I've seen it.

As I recall I first saw the Bill Cunningham documentary when I got DSL internet - probably 2013 or so ?  That was when Hulu was still a great site, lots of interesting videos for free if you could deal with all the commercials.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm