Am I a video quality snob ?


I tuned into the second half of the Cary Grant movie: Arsenic and Old Lace on PBS Wisconsin.  I had started recording the first half but when I watched the second half I noticed that it had that "interlaced" combing thing.  In a static scene (like a title card) the interlaced video looks fine.  But when there's any movement you can see the ghost of the previous interlaced frame on top of the next frame.  It's annoying since they are called movies :)

I've also noticed this on the PBS Wisconsin repeats of the Carol Burnett CBS show.
see those annoying horizontal lines on Carol's ear/nose



Anyway, I deleted the Arsenic and Old Lace recording.  It's a fun movie but not worth saving with that interlacing thing.

Could a better TV or codec or something technological help ?  Probably, but it's not worth the trouble or expense of investigating a fix for me.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm