EMI from Electric Cars
I saw this blog post:
https://www.edn.com/a-new-emi-threat
where John Dunn mentions that electric cars don't even bother with AM radios due to all the electromagnetic interference from the on-board electronics.
It seems like almost everything causes interference these days, I put up some videos on how the island co-op power meters on the house cause ham-band interference:
http://wb9kzy.com/power.htm
And don't get me started on BPL:
http://wb9kzy.com/bpl.htm
Thank goodness BPL imploded.
But my most recent encounter with interference was during exercise. I was listening to WNMU 90.1 FM and hearing some hash. WNMU is never super strong here since it is roughly 80 miles away. Per this map from radio-locator.com the island is right on the fringe:
![]() |
| Washington Island is just outside the blue ring, lower right |
But after I stopped exercising I noticed that when I turned off the Bluetooth on the mp3 player (cellphone) the hash went away. Since Bluetooth occupies spectrum above 2 GHz I'm not sure why it was causing the hash. But now I know to keep Bluetooth off while listening to the radio.
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm

Comments