the writer's trick

Ernest Hemingway
 

 I remember my Dad telling me about a method that Hemingway used to avoid writer's block.  Nearing the end of a writing session and knowing where you are going with the writing task, stop right there and leave it for the next day.  The idea is that the next day you will know where the story is going and the words will flow, no block possible.

Or as Hemingway put it:

 
"The best way is always to stop when you are going good and when you know what will happen next. If you do that every day … you will never be stuck. Always stop while you are going good and don’t think about it or worry about it until you start to write the next day. That way your subconscious will work on it all the time. But if you think about it consciously or worry about it you will kill it and your brain will be tired before you start." — Ernest Hemingway

I don't know if this works - writing itself never seemed like a big problem to me although I don't worry over words the way a true author would.  But then again this is prevention, not cure.  Sometimes that does happen for me with software though.  I'll get out of the habit of writing code for a day or two which grows into a week and pretty soon other tasks have taken over and I haven't done any coding for months. 

Is it a good idea to turn the writer's trick into a coder's trick ?  Or maybe the electronic designer's trick ?  Or even the circuit board layout trick ?

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm


Comments