The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee & Mrs. Roosevelt
I learned (from watching the TV show: "The Avengers", really!) that a dash isn't called a dash if it's in a person's family name, it's called a bar-sinister. I don't think that applies to where I went to college, anyway we just called it UWM (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee).
Between the library and the student union there was a big plaza where you'd see stuff like this (I assume they were drama majors):
| al fresco western drama at UWM |
| don't raise your children to be drama students ? |
One of the newer constuctions was the Humanities building, the rumor was that they didn't have the money to give the exterior some nice cladding so it was mostly raw concrete and glass:
| the Humanities building |
But I spent a lot of my time at the Golda Meir library:
| the sculpture near the entrance |
| the periodicals room |
I should have been spending my time studying electrical engineering but mostly I liked to look at old magazines, including Life. They had bound volumes of Life from it's inception in 1936. The third issue of Life had a blurb about Mrs. Roosevelt visiting the city. Here is the full issue on archive: https://archive.org/download/life-1936-11-23/Life%201936-12-07.pdf
Here is the full page:
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code=XZNJBkVZ29scfSQN6cFfsPYBC5BCdbap6ekk
In the 1930s UWM was called the Wisconsin State Teacher's College. On that page next to the highlighted text someone had written: "it still is" :)
There are jokers around us, everywhere !
BTW, a $1 tip in 1936 is the equivalent of $20.08 in 2022 dollars
https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=1&year1=193611&year2=202201
and if those were 1935 silver dollars, they'd be worth at least $27 today:
| rev up the time machine, go back to 1935 and get a bunch of these at the bank ! |
| did someone say: "coin silver contacts" ? |
I should really be working on ham radio kits but the internet has a nearly inexhaustable supply of magazines to look at !
Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm
Comments