bad toner cartridge #2 ?

Review the previous Laserjet cartridge exploits here:  

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2022/08/stuff-happens.html

I tried buying a generic cartridge on ebay to replace the bad HP cartridge.   One of the main reasons for buying this particular cartridge was that it was located in Fond du Lac, WI which is close to Appleton, WI which happens to be the last jumping off point recorded on any USPS parcel tracking.  So hopefully I'd get the cartridge in a day or so.  BZZZZT !  Nope.  I purchased the cartridge on August 30, a Tuesday afternoon before 3pm.  It was sent on September 6 and I received in on September 8.  So much for my plan of a quick transaction.  Of course there was a Monday postal holiday.

After receiving the cartridge I tried printing a test sheet:




But after putting in a request to return the cartridge the seller asked me if I had "pulled the tape" - I hadn't.  There was no ring on the tape so I figured that it had already been pulled and then cut off.  Bad assumption by me.  After I pulled the tape out completely the cartridge worked OK.

Unfortunately I had already bought another cartridge - so I will end up with a working generic cartridge and hopefully a working spare HP cartridge.

I have learned a few things from these experiences:  

 => generic cartridges can be OK
 => don't count on quick shipping within Wisconsin
 => even genuine HP laser toner cartridges can be no good

BTW, I didn't know that laser toner cartridges don't age well, especially in warmer storage conditions.  So I'm looking for boxes that are current, here is a picture from Quill.com of a current cartridge:



Why not just buy from some reputable dealer like Quill ?  The prices are high but the item is genuine and they take things back without a question.   The real problem for me is that all the big vendors refuse to mail stuff, they want to use UPS or whoever - only USPS delivers here.

Bottom line:  I was finally able to get the booklets for the museum printed before the Columbus Day closing.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm