DIY Metering

I usually check Worldradiohistory.com everyday to see what is new:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/American-Radio-History-Updates.htm

Today I saw an issue of Budget Electronics magazine:

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Elementary-Electronics/Elementary-Electronics-Budget-Electronics-1978.pdf

This was published by the same people who produced the yearly 101 Electronic Projects series (mentioned before):

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2022/02/101-electronic-projects-magazine.html

Budget Electronics had fewer than 101 circuits in an issue but each one was presented more in depth rather than just a schematic and a parts list.  The one that caught my eye today was this light meter on page 79:





Not so much for this particular design but just the idea of building a light meter rather than buying one.

Why would I want or need a light meter ?  I have a Nikon D40 digital SLR camera which is quite nice.  Originally I bought just the used body on Ebay and was planning to use some of the Nikon F mount lenses that I have.  The problem is that the D40 doesn't know what the aperture ring is set to so it can't meter internally with these old lenses.  So I ended up buying a pair of zoom lenses that work with the D40 meter.  But they just aren't as sharp as the old metal and glass Nikon F lenses.

If I want to use the old Nikon F mount lenses like the 50 mm macro lens (nice and sharp, good for closeups), I have to guestimate the exposure and then adjust it based on the screen image and/or the histogram.  

Why not just use a light meter ?  I do have old light meters and in fact the old Nikomat FTn camera has a meter.   But the problem with them is that the mercury batteries that were used aren't available anymore :(

So now, reminded by this article, I may try building a light meter - this would mainly be for in the house use, closeup pictures for the blog or kit documentation.  There are lots of designs on the internet, just a matter of selecting and trying one out.  Should be fun !

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm