Sherlock Holmes Was a Novelty Addict

I was listening to: The Red-Headed League on WPR Chapter a Day.  
 
 
At the end of the story Dr. Watson remarks:

"You reasoned it out beautifully," I exclaimed in unfeigned admiration. "It is so long a chain, and yet every link rings true."

then Holmes says:

"It saved me from ennui," he answered, yawning. "Alas! I already feel it closing in upon me. My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence. These little problems help me to do so."
The assistant to Jabez Wilson, Holmes and Watson

In other words Holmes was on a quest for novelty - but real life fictional novelty not 21st century internet novelty :)

BTW I've been waiting since December 5, 2023 to borrow the book (on Overdrive):
Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman.  I'm 7th in line.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm