Peel

No, not Emma Peel, that's a completely different topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idtYckLIZnI

(I was in the 6th grade when the Avengers was on TV)

It has been a good year for fruit on the island.  Not just the grapes mentioned before

https://wb9kzy.blogspot.com/2023/10/grape-juice-in-my-opinion-welchs-earns.html

but also apples:




Usually I just eat the apples that I harvest but there are just too many this year, and while no store would sell them they taste good and this year the apples don't even have that many worms.  So how to preserve the excess ?

I suppose that juicing is possible but both apple trees that I have (a red and a golden, I'm not sure of exactly which varieties they are) but neither has juicy apples.  So that would leave either drying or canning.  I will try both ways but think I'll try making apple sauce for canning first.  While reading a recipe in the old Better Homes cookbook I noticed that they suggest peeling the apples.  That stirred a memory of this video:

 https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x370lox  

Eat, Fast, Live longer, 2012, BBC Horizon (aka NOVA with an accent) with presenter: Michael Mosley.  This is the first time that I'd ever heard of calorie restriction and intermittent fasting - Michael Mosley is a medical doctor in England as well as a TV host.  I did try intermittent fasting but it didn't really do anything magical for me.  I may have been feeling entitled to eat whatever I wanted on the non-fast days ?   Anyway after a while I quit fasting.

But back to the thing I remember from the video, about 12 minutes in, a fellow is shown peeling an apple as part of his breakfast - it turned out that he eats the peel and throws away the rest of the apple !  He is a practitioner of calorie restriction, 1800 a day versus 2400 ?  So he tries to get nutrition first.  It seemed to work for him but I can't get with eating the peel only :)

I am going to have to see if Michael Mosley has followed up this 2012 show with more definitive results.  I suspect that any scheme works if truly worked - the human race doesn't need another diet - it needs a methodology that allows normal people to persevere over time.

And I don't know about the applesauce, I have canned it before with the peel left on but the color fades, and much of the nutrition in fruits and vegetables is in their color.  Also peeling can lead to better (safer) canning - no sense in getting more nutrients if botulism might be a by-product.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm