B.O.S.S. ?

BOSS => Back On Shame Shelf ?   One of the items that I've had trouble with was an Westclox analog quartz clock from the mid 1990s (it actually says made in USA on the front/back, that's how old it is).


  It had suffered an alkaline cell leak.  I tried cleaning it up but there was some kind of bad contact so I just wired in an 2 cell AA holder and bypassed one of the cells.



It still didn't work quite right so on the shelf it went. (BTW N6QW owns the trademark on "Shame Shelf" :)

At the end of March 2023 I decided to re-try it, and it worked !  However during May it had begun to gain time, over 15 seconds.  Then it lost over an hour on May 10 to 11.

I took it down intending to get a new clock but realized that I had installed a NiMh cell at the end of March.  So I decided to recharge the NiMh (it was a little low on the VOM battery tester) and retry it.

And it works !  So only a month or so of operation with a NiMh cell but that's  OK.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm