Kit mail

I got a comment about fast mail from a customer in VA.  He had mailed his order form / payment on March 7 and I received it on the 10th.

I can remember when I first started selling the kits in the late 1990s I often would mail my part orders to Digi-key (yes, they offer free shipping on mailed in orders) on a Monday afternoon and would routinely receive the order by the next Monday.  I always thought that was pretty fast service.

But I don't mail in orders to Digi-Key much any more, what often happens is that the 10% tariff trips me up, the website shows the no-tariff price and then they jack it up in the shopping cart.  Anyway, it does take longer than a week now.  And Mouser has upped their game, they provide as good or better service than Digi-key often at lower prices.

I still prefer the USPS.  Mainly because they literally deliver here on the island while the others (UPS, Fedex and so on) don't.  But the USPS was better in the old days of the 20th century - I suppose that applies to me too !  For one thing I usually just stick the orders in the mailbox, so they have to wait until the next day to leave the island.  In the olden days if someone in the household was going near the post office they would get the mail there before the cutoff time for sending the mail to the ferry.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm 

 

Update: the VA customer received the kit on March 16, 2023, it was mailed on the afternoon of the 11th so he received it from me in 5 days (would probably have been 4 if I was on the mainland).  That means it was 9 days round-trip from him to me to him, which isn't really that bad.