Dad's time picking at the Reynolds orchard

 I saw this picture on Shorpy of kids in June 1943 who were going for farm work:




source: https://www.shorpy.com/node/23476

My dad would been 12 going on 13 in June 1943 so I don't know if that was the year.  He mentioned something to do with the Scouts.  Anyway, he volunteered to go pick cherries in Door County WI.  

I don't remember the details but it was a bad experience for him.  The Olsons were living in Milwaukee during the war.  He went on this picking job with the intention of helping to "win the war" and maybe "pick-up-a-couple-of-bucks" but it didn't work out.  I recall that he also spent some summers at his cousin's farm in western WI which was a lot more fun and probably just as beneficial to the war effort.

The remnants of the Reynolds orchard are on the east side of 42 near the top of the hill on the southern approach to Ellison Bay.  When we came up to Door County in the 1960s there were some shacks on the west side of the highway for the pickers, I think that was what triggered my Dad's recollections.  As usual I was only half paying attention so I don't remember the details.  But Dad never had anything good to say about the Reynolds family especially the former WI governor.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm