Just a dream: the PRC-74 transceiver

When I was a new ham I remember reading an article in the surplus column of CQ Magazine (December 1972) which dealt with the PRC-74, a synthesized solid state radio used in Vietnam by the Army.

from the manual

  The radio was built by Hughes Aircraft Co. in California.  As I recall the author didn't mention where he got the rig from, of course no Ebay back then but there were a lot more surplus dealers.

Not sure why but I was fascinated by this radio machine.  In addition to being fully solid state (still a novelty in the 1970s) it was also synthesized.  Just set your frequency on the 4 switches and the clarifier gave you wiggle room in between the 1 kHz settings.  The synthesizer used 46 crystals in 4 switched banks to generate a 3.75 to 19.749 MHz carrier.
from the synthesizer schematic

  The single conversion IF frequency was 1.75 MHz.  Depending on the version the radio covered from 2 to 12 MHz or 2 to 18 Mhz continuously.  The rig was basically a USB radio but it could receive and send CW using a 2000 Hz note (yuck).

I've never seen a PRC-74 in person but I do own an old computer built by Hughes Aircraft.  That computer was probably the best built S-100 box ever - who else used silver plated Teflon wiring in a computer (Hughes called it a PDEC, it was an off-line editor to be used with a Fairchild Sentry IC tester).  So I assume that the PRC-74 was impeccably manufactured.

But even though they are offered on Ebay, I'll never own one.  It was purpose designed and built for use by soldiers in a jungle far from base - not meant for an old ham fooling around - I think a PRC-74 would compare poorly to almost any recent ham gear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185576489672

I've got that CQ issue around here somewhere - anyway there is plenty of info on this wonderful page on the PRC-74:

https://www.radionerds.com/index.php/AN~PRC-74#:~:text=Employment
 

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm