The ARRL has been the target of haters for a L O N G time

 I was looking at an issue of R/9 magazine from December 1935 (courtesy of the wonderful WorldRadioHistory site).  

This editorial was upfront:




I'm not sure exactly what happened in Cairo or what Warner did wrong but here it is 87 years later and we still have ham radio (and QST).

I can only think of the countless Never Say Die columns in 73 magazine of a similar nature.  The ARRL never seems to do right :)

Well I feel differently, while any human endeavor can go wrong, for the most part I think the ARRL has done a wonderful job.  

Incidentally, R/9 was a very interesting magazine, kind of an early version of Ham Radio magazine.  There are only 3 issues on WorldRadioHistory.com.  Apparently with the next issue in January 1936 R/9 merged with Radio magazine and was published as Radio from then on.

Earlier in the decade (1933) R/9 published the first articles in the ham radio press concerning SSB - I haven't located those online so far.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm