no printed documentation with a kit ?

Nope, and no invoice either.

Why ?  I stopped sending manuals / schematics with the kits in the 20th century (not too long after starting the sale of kits).  It is one thing to print out a manual (usually in booklet form) once in a while but let's imagine an order of 20 kits for a dealer.  Printing (and folding a booklet) gets really dreary very quickly.

In addition, manuals take a certain amount of space and have weight.  This impacts postage.  I'd fold the manuals to fit in a bubble pack mailer or small box, so it resulted in a less than ideal manual for the user.

Now remember that the manuals and schematics were (and are) on the site in PDF format.  I guess I assumed that purchasers might be like me, download the manual/schematic and look at it before buying.  Maybe print it out or maybe not (no sense in printing something that might be used once).  Something like a tablet can be handy for manuals.

The invoices stopped in early 2009.  We had some health emergencies in the family and I had very little time to spend on the kits.  So invoices were the first thing to go.  And I've had maybe one request for an invoice after that.  So I don't think people have missed them enough to email about the omission.

Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm