do you know if your backups are good ?

Some time ago Yahoo did the mass-kickoff of their user groups.  And they encouraged everyone to download the backups of messages and files.  With many groups this wasn't needed as there was a migration to groups.io.  But with others the Yahoo "event" was a termination of the group, it happens, sometimes groups just never have that core number of contributors to keep them going.

Well, one day I was looking for some information from a Yahoo group I had been in, MUUG (which I don't remember what the initials mean ;) - it was a group about Traxmaker and Circuitmaker, abandonware for schematic capture, simulation and also circuit board design.  I really like the software and use Traxmaker especially for designing circuit boards.

So I hunted around for my Yahoo backup - everything came in one lump - I had uploaded it to the cloud and finally remembered that I had put it there.

I download it from the cloud and start looking at the MUUG messages.  I'm not finding what I want but it's sorta interesting.  Just a big text file.

But at the end (where I think the info I wanted would be found) the text file was just gobbledygook like this:

a message I sent to the MUUG Yahoo group



I'm sure that many folks know exactly how to decode this but I don't, and in this case it wasn't anything important so I didn't pursue it.  I guess it was from entering the messages in the Yahoo graphic site rather than just sending email text messages ?

But now I'm wondering if my other backups (not Yahoo but just regular backups) are OK or have they been converted to something unusable ?


Best Regards,
Chuck, WB9KZY
http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm