Storing Test Leads, Cords and Cables

When I needed a test lead, cord or cable at work (20th century) I would go over to a metal bracket screwed into the wall of the lab with closely spaced metal fingers like this one from Pomona:


The cables and test leads were all hung by their connectors in the slots.  Usually finding the one you wanted meant taking out a bunch of other cables in front to get to it.

But at home I either put cables in a box or draped them over a board I had cantilevered under my digital scope.  The scope sits on top of a bookshelf next to the bench.  This was fine until K9MMS gave me an idea to steal.  He had attached a horizontal board to his workbench shelving and added 3 drawer pull knobs to drape his various cordage onto that board, neat:

I just happened to have a weird little unused thingy in the basement, kind of a combination of a small bookshelf and a board with 3 coat pegs.  I ripped the board with the pegs off the bookself, screwed it to a hunk of plywood and voila, cord storage !

I've got the three pegs to drape cords over and the two ends of the board as well.   Some Fun-Tac was applied under the plywood to prevent knocking the whole works onto the floor when I walk by.  So far, so good !

In addition with cords or test leads that have alligator clips I've always just clipped them to the oilcloth that is draped over the bench.  Not sightly but it works.



Best Regards,

Chuck, WB9KZY

http://wb9kzy.com/ham.htm